[pdftex] Patch for better performance of map file reading

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jul 31 11:01:39 CEST 2002

Hi Heiko,

>+       Most tfm file names obey the Karl-Berry-schema, so the
>+       string length is not greater than 8. The string is
>+       converted into an int by dividing the first eight
>+       bytes into two byte parts. These parts are then
>+       combined by xor. As hashing function the multiplicative
>+       method is used.

On todays machines there is no reason to stick to 8 byte names; when i buy
some fonts, i prefer to generate files with names like

texnansi-<optional alternative>-<optional mm scaling or slant or
whatever>-originalname.tfm

so, i wonder what happens in this case; in general, i think that we should
not put any limitations on font names.

>+      Return value:  true if tfm file is inserted,
>+                     false if the name is already in the hashtable

i think that it should be possible to overload defaults, i.e. esp if you
use those 3000 entry files; user should be able to replace entries (in
additional files); so in my opinion later entries must overload previous ones

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl