[pdftex] font warning from new tetex rpms

Robert Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 01:51:56 CET 2002

"James W. Haefner" wrote:

> I use a standard install from RH7.2 and recently updated the tetex rpms (finally they
> are shipping pdftex 14h).  I for one, have had good experiences with RH rpms and
> pdflatex (formerly after hand-installing current pdflatex's). But now I get this warning
> using the new RH7.2 rpms for pdflatex:
>
> Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map): invalid entr
> y for `rtxphvbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1 fonts
>
> this is repeated for rtxphvro, rtxptmbo, rtxptmro
>
> Here is the pdftex.map entry.
> rtxphvbo Helvetica-Bold ".167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <tx8r.enc
>
> I'm unfamiliar with the rtx fonts; is the warning indicating a bad pdftex.map file or an
> incompatible font, or something else?
>
> thanks
>
> Jim Haefner

pdftex doesn't embed the basic fonts that come with acrobat
reader, and it can't apply SlantFont to a font that it hasn't
embedded. So when it sees the font name "Helvetica-Bold" it
doesn't embed the font, and then SlantFont is illegitimate.

That being said, I don't see why one would want to apply
SlantFont to Helvetica Bold, since Helvetica-BoldOblique exists.
It seems to me that the map file line should be

rtxphvbo Helvetica-BoldOblique <tx8r.enc

Times Roman is a different problem. You can either use the close
approximation to it that comes with ghostscript, and have a
map file line something like

ptmro8r NimbusRomNo9L-Regu "0.167 SlantFont" <N021003L.pfb 8r.enc

  (replace "ptmro8r" by the name of your tfm file and "8r.enc" by
  -- I presume -- "tx8r.enc")
or else you can trick pdftex into embedding Times Roman by not
telling it the name of the font, e.g.

ptmro8r "0.167 SlantFont" <Tir_____.pfb 8r.enc

Of course you have to have the pfb file.

Bob Howlett