[pdftex] novice with problems

M. Wroth mark at astrid.upland.ca.us
Fri Sep 14 07:25:00 CEST 2001

PdfLaTeX is an application of pdfTeX (as LaTeX is an application of TeX
:-).  TeX by itself, without any application or customization applied, is a
very low level "language" for document markup.  Almost all use of TeX is
with one or more "macro packages", of which LaTeX is probably the most popular.

Big macro packages, like LaTeX, are usually compiled into "format files"
for speed in loading.  By convention, TeX with the LaTeX format file loaded
is called LaTeX---in fact, many implementation of TeX are arranged so that
if you call them, say, LaTeX, they will automatically load the
corresponding format file.

So if you have a "full" implementation of pdfTeX, you probably have the
files you need for pdfLaTeX; the basic sequence you need to follow is:

1. Get pdfTeX installed and running
2. Create the pdflatex format file (usually called pdflatex.fmt).  You do
this by running "pdfinitex" (which may not be called that on your system)
on the basic latex file (latex.ltx, IIRC) .  The command to do so is
something like "pdfinitex latex.ltx /dump" (the "\dump" command tells
initex to same the resulting memory image as a format file).
3. Move the format file to where your system looks for format files
4. Arrange for the command "pdflatex" to call pdftex with your new format
file.  This can be an alias that expands to "pdftex &pdflatex ", a command
file, or a link to the main executable.