[pdftex] pdftex & file size...

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon Nov 12 18:00:26 CET 2001

Ricardo Sanchez Carmenes a écrit :

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Thierry Bouche wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I face the following problem, which was always there, but gets quite
> > annoying in this peculiar case...
> >
> > I have a PDF file (a small (150 p.) science book with 80+ images,
> > most of them vector arts, and hyperlinks).
> >
> > i make the PDFs for images with distiller, they use the same fonts as
> > the main text, from (AI, fontless) EPS of 50 K, I get PDFs of 300 K
>
> Aren't the outputs too big, for vector arts ?

yes... Looking at the PDF, I see that (i give the sizes of one image)
- the EPS were done with FreeHand 5.5 (26.6 K)
- the previous PDF with distiller 3 (35.7 K)
- newly produced PDF with distiller 4 or 5 seem to contain an
alternative rasterized version (323 K)

there is a stream like this which occupies most of the file:
30 0 obj
<< /N 4 /Alternate /DeviceCMYK /Length 321237 /Filter /FlateDecode >>

So, in the first place, it seems that distiller puts things I didn't ask
for (& really don't see where to modify this, maybe is this a feature
associated to web optimization?) and, in the second place, pdftex
doesn't select the right object but just copies the whole thing.

Th.