[pdftex] redundant objects with includegraphics

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 4 03:23:58 CEST 2001

At 14:38 02.05.2001 +0200, Otfried Cheong wrote:

>   \includegraphics[page=1,cache=3]{a.pdf}
>   \includegraphics[page=2]{a.pdf}
>   \includegraphics[page=3]{a.pdf}
>
>The 'cache' option asks for the embedding of three pages, starting
>with page 1.

No, I think it is not a good idea. A typical user would
not see a reason to use the option "cache". A lot of
explanation has to be written to explain this an user,
but users do not read documentation.

Why pdfTeX cannot collect the pages of the same included
file and adds only the needed resources at the end of the
pdfTeX run. Then an end user has not to deal with
extra commands "\pdfembed" or extra options "cache".

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de>