[pdftex] pdf file not displaying properly in browser

rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 20 08:50:41 CET 2001

Quoting Ed L Cashin <ecashin at terry.uga.edu>:

> Robert Howlett <rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au> writes:

> > I am puzzled by a minor problem that I am having now that I have not
> > had before, at least for several years. The pdf files I create using
> > pdftex (under Win95 or Win98) display OK using acrord32, but when I
> > upload them to the place where my students are supposed to find them
> > and then attempt to view them in my web browser (both IE 5.50 and
> > Netscape 4.76) not all the fonts show up.
>
> Are you uploading and downloading as text or as binary?
>
> --
> --Ed Cashin                   PGP public key:
>   ecashin at terry.uga.edu       http://www.terry.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

Binary.

I now believe that the phenomenon is this: when I first click
on the link to the pdf file, the data is transmitted OK and the
acrobat reader plug-in starts but the page remains blank. If
I now click the browser's "back" button and then the "forward"
button then the pdf file comes up OK on the screen. I usually
use Netscape but on one occasion IE did something similar.

The strange thing is that I've been making and posting these
pdf files for years and never had this particular behaviour
before (as far as I can remember). All that has changed is the
version of pdftex and the version of the browser.

Bob