[pdftex] character protruding

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Tue Mar 6 17:43:38 CET 2001

Hi.

I'm working with fpTeX v0.4 on Win2k. With this pdfTeX 0.14h is
installed. I tried to use \pdfprodrudechars=2 with this test file:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{JensonMM}

\pdfoutput=1
\pdfpagewidth=21cm
\pdfpageheight=29.7cm

\pdfprotrudechars=2

\input{protcode}
\AtBeginDocument{%
    \setprotcode\font}

\begin{document}
This is version \the\pdftexversion \pdftexrevision\ of pdfTeX.

Ah! perhaps a burning match might be some good, if she could draw
it from the bundle and strike it against the wall, just to warm
[...]

First: the result (in PDF and DVI) is disappointing; hyphenated words
stuck out horribly in the margin (with \rpcode#1`\-=700 in
protrude.tex!). And all other punctuation marks not at all!

Is LY1 the bad boy? How do I have to setup my fonts (tfm, pfm, pfb,
afm, etc.) so that everything works as expected (and I can't use 8r or
something like this because the font has its own encoding with special
ligatures (e.g. ft, tt, "...", etc.). Do I need virtual fonts? I think
I don't need them, everything is in the PFB.

Please help me.

Regards,
Ulrich Dirr

--