[pdftex] epstopdf is rendering the first character as type 3 font...

Joe Riel joe.riel at incep.com
Wed Jun 27 13:15:16 CEST 2001

Apologies if this question is inappropriate for this group; if you know
of a better place to post it please let me know.

I am using epstopdf. The postscript file was generated by Visio.

I notice that the first character in each string is rendered as a type 3
font, the remaining characters are correctly rendered as type 1 fonts.
Is this a known bug with epstopdf? Or should I suspect the postscript
file? My knowledge of postscript is minimal, but there is noting to
distinguish the first character from the remaining (following is an
excerpt)

/_Times-Roman 12.0000 Tf
0.0000 Tc
 0 Tr
  0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 K
  0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 k
( Vpdk\r) Tx

The "V" is rendered as type 3 font, the "pdk" as type 1 fonts.

Thanks for any help,

Joe Riel