[pdftex] Bug in pdfTeX including a bitmap

Werner Horbelt horbelt at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jun 21 19:17:09 CEST 2001

I'm using pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d
with \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
to generate a pdf version of my thesis.
Everything works fine despite one figure containing a bitmap.
It was generated as a portable graymap and converted into eps
by means of John Bradleys xv and converted into pdf with
epstopdf --nocompress

The standalone graphics looks ok in acrobat reader, but when it is
included in the tex-file, the generated .pdf has two errors:

1. vertical lines become slanted (sloped?crooked?...) as if after
each bitmap line one extra byte was inserted.

2. The grayscales are wrong in a strange way. After some research it
looks as if one extra bit(!) was inserted after every 16th byte.

The test files are at

pdftex.def	the actual version of pdftex.def
tst.tex		tex source
tstimage.pdf	the image to include

tst.pdf		my result when I said pdflatex tst
tstimage.eps	original graphics

best regards