[pdftex] Bug in pdfTeX including a bitmap

Werner Horbelt horbelt at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jun 21 19:17:09 CEST 2001

Hi,

I'm using pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d
with \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
to generate a pdf version of my thesis.
Everything works fine despite one figure containing a bitmap.
It was generated as a portable graymap and converted into eps
by means of John Bradleys xv and converted into pdf with
epstopdf --nocompress

The standalone graphics looks ok in acrobat reader, but when it is
included in the tex-file, the generated .pdf has two errors:

1. vertical lines become slanted (sloped?crooked?...) as if after
each bitmap line one extra byte was inserted.

2. The grayscales are wrong in a strange way. After some research it
looks as if one extra bit(!) was inserted after every 16th byte.

The test files are at

http://webber.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~horbelt/pdftex/

pdftex.def	the actual version of pdftex.def
tst.tex		tex source
tstimage.pdf	the image to include

tst.pdf		my result when I said pdflatex tst
tstimage.eps	original graphics

best regards
werner