[pdftex] Image transparency

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 10:40:12 CEST 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 01:08 AM 6/21/01 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >Wendy McKay writes:
> > > I use very basic pdftex with pdf figures and  none of the fancy
> >
> >very good! PDF images are better than PNG anyway!
> eh ... you mean outlines, bitmaps in pdf are just png/jpg/tif compressed so
> they should be of similar quality then their original
> but, .. you're quite right [as always] about being better since inclusion
> of a png converted to pdf is much faster, so what we do here is convert the
> png's into pdf [using pdftex] and then including them as pdf.

I have seen several examples where direct inclusion of png works, and after
conversion to pdf, pdftex crashed during inclusion.  I don't know if this
is resolved in the latest pdftex, as I learnt from the problems to prefer
png for large images.  (They were all highly detailed screen shots of 0.5
MegaPixel (as digicams say) or more.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk