[pdftex] interactive conditional text in pdf?

Wolfgang Slany wsi at dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 17 17:20:44 CEST 2001

I would like to be able to interactively expand or collapse conditional
text in a pdf document created with pdflatex. Expanded text should be able
to contain further conditional texts, i.e., the whole feature should be
recursive.

I know this sounds as if it was certainly incompatible with the page
oriented way text is set in pdf as opposed to, for instance, the more line
oriented HTML, since when an optional text is expanded, the text behind it
must be pushed down. Anyway, there are many unlikely things that can be
done with pdf, so possibly this too?

I also want to be able to print the exact snapshot as it appears in the
document after collapsing or expanding certain parts, i.e., I want to be
able to go into acroread, decide on-screen which branches of the
document-tree I want to expand, then print this custom created document.
All of this should ideally be doable interactively with acroread and
possibly other similar programs, maybe via javascript code, without
necessitating some remote server.

Any ideas, preferrably sent directly to me, would be appreciated. I will
summarize to the mailing-list.

Best regards, Wolfgang
Wolfgang SLANY                mailto:wsi at dbai.tuwien.ac.at
TU Wien, Austria http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/staff/slany/