[pdftex] MediaBox?

Peter Schröder ps at cs.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 14 14:18:08 CEST 2001

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> I think the following rules:
>   If ArtBox is not present, it should take the value of CropBox.
>   If CropBox is not present, it should take the value of MediaBox.
>   It is an error, if MediaBox is not present.
> (perhaps similar with TrimBox, ...)
>
> But it is a bad idea to start at ArtBox always.
> Some people wants to include the whole pages, especially,
> if they run pdfTeX to rearrange the pages of a pdf file
> (pdfpages, ...). So the syntax of \pdfximage should be
> extended to say, which Box type pdfTeX should looks first.

Agreed.

What I don't understand is that graphicx has all this read code and it doesn't
seem to get used. Else, my modification of the graphicx read code (replacing
/MediaBox with /ArtBox) ought to have made a difference. What's the deal with
that? Are you saying that included graphics read code (in the case of pdf) is
actually handled by pdftex itself rather than graphicx?

Peter