[pdftex] Re: tex2pdf 2.1 released -- appologies for my ignorance

Charles Lepple charles at wirelessvalley.com
Tue Jun 12 12:33:59 CEST 2001

--On Tuesday, June 12, 2001 4:16 PM +0100 Reuben Thomas <rrt at dcs.gla.ac.uk>
wrote:

>>  > A simple "-version" on my RedHat 7.1 system reveals that I'm using
>>  > "pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d" which is part of RedHat's tetex
>>  > 1.0.7-15 RPM.  I take it that is dated?
>> yes. dont trust redhat an inch.
>
> I don't understand this. First, RedHat is just repackaging tetex, they
> don't choose the version of pdftex to ship. Secondly, it seems that RH is
> shipping v0.13d, which is the same version you said should be fine above.
> What am I missing?

teTeX has a more recent version in their beta distribution, which RedHat
does not repackage. A bug has been filed with them, and they are holding
out until teTeX upgrades to a newer version of pdftex.

On the other hand, you can have basic bookmark support and hyperlinked
cross references with the version distributed in the teTeX package (since
RH 6.1, at least). Beyond that, you may run into trouble with alpha
channels in PNGs, and a host of other problems identified previously on the
pdftex at tug.org list.

--
Charles Lepple <charles at wirelessvalley.com>
Wireless Valley Communications, Inc.