[pdftex] using includegraphics with pdflatex ...[pdflatex (file describeSL1.pdf): cannot open image file]

Yann Gautier yann.gautier at ifp.fr
Wed Jun 6 13:18:47 CEST 2001

I have a problem with graphics in pdflatex. pdflatex doesn't seem to
locate correctly the  pdf files.

I use the simple tex file :

\pdffalse % we are not running PDFLaTeX
\pdfoutput=1 % we are running PDFLaTeX

the file describeSL1.pdf is located in another directory. When I run
pdlatex, I get the following message :
Error: pdflatex (file describeSL1.pdf): cannot open image file

When I move describeSL1.pdf into the current directory it works well.
Another weird thing is that kpsewhich describeSL1.pdf gives the correct
location and that if I compile the latex file with latex, all the eps
files are found.

Is there a file to configure so that latex tries to locate the pfd file
in the  $TEXINPUTS directory list.

I am running tetex 1.0x on an UltraSparc10

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yann Gautier (yann.gautier at ifp.fr)