[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Robert Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 02:17:20 CEST 2001

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 11:11 PM 6/5/01 +1000, Robert Howlett wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Tom Kacvinsky noticed a PDF error in a file I sent him.
> >The file was generated by
> >pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417
> >and the error is that there is a reference to an object
> >that doesn't exist. The missing object should be the
> >encoding vector for an embedded font.
> >I now think that *this* is the cause of one of the
> >printing problems I have seen, rather than a bug in
> >Acrobat Reader 5.0.
> >My tex file is
> >
> >\pdfcompresslevel=0
> >\nopagenumbers
> >$\Gamma$ fl fi \ss
> >\bye
> >
> >and the map file contains
> >
> >cmr10 CMR10 <<cmr10.pfb
> >
> >Printing from Acrobat Reader to a postscript printer
> >gave a blank piece of paper.
> >
> >However, when I changed the map file line to
> >
> >cmr10 CMR10 <<cmr10.pfb cmtext.enc
> >
> >then the pdftex put the encoding vector into the pdf file
> >-- no more missing object -- and now it printed OK.
> >(This appears to differ from the behaviour that Tom
> >observe, for some reason that I don't understand.)
> >However, the missing object when the map file does
> >not specify an encoding file certainly seems to be a bug.
>
> but as far as i can see
>
> cmr10 CMR10 < cmr10.pfb
>
> works well (i can browse the objects) but fails to print,

Yes, I believe that it is only when there is << and no
encoding file that pdftex forgets to make an encoding object,
and in this case the printing problem is acrobat's fault.

> Hans
>
> PS. Is there a list of which enc's are needed for what cm*'s?

I don't have one anymore.
As I recall, a long time ago we had to specify encoding files;
so I guess we had such a list once! (There were problems caused
by the fact that bakoma has different names for some of the
glyphs -- e.g. the pounds sterling symbol is called "dollar".
It was a relief to be able to dispense with the enc's.)

Bob