[pdftex] Metapost and PDF files

Christopher S. Swingley cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
Sat Apr 28 14:20:24 CEST 2001

Hi!

I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out how to use Metapost
in combination with PDFTeX and Ghostscript.  I believe the problem is
that I want to use the Computer Modern fonts in my figures, but the
only program that seems to understand how to deal with these fonts
is dvips.  I can put 'prologues:=1;' at the top of my *.mp file,
but then I get fonts that won't match the rest of my document.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the creation of figures with Metapost
that I can use in LaTeX or TeX files, for the generation of PostScript
and PDF files.  Right now the only thing I can get to work is to
include the figures in a TeX document, run it, then turn it into
PostScript using dvips.  But I can't get a PDF file using any method
beyond ps2pdf (which is a raster version of the PostScript file and
doesn't look very good).  xdvi also displays a poor quality version
of the figures when I preview the dvi file.

I've loaded the Computer Modern fonts into ghostscript so it can
read them by doing: gs prfont.ps, and then typing GS> /cmr10 DoFont,
but Ghostscript doesn't seem to know what to make of the fonts in the
Metapost figure files (gs: Error: /undefined in cmr10, gs: Operand
stack: (1)).

If it matters, I'm using a Debian (sid / woody) Linux distribution.

Versions:

    mpost --version = MetaPost (Web2C 7.3.1) 0.641, kpathsea version 3.3.1
    pdftex --version = pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.14f-released-20000525
    tex --version = TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
    gs --version = 5.10

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle