[pdftex] Re: help: epstopdf loses resolution after ghostscript upgrad

Alan Shutko ats at acm.org
Fri Apr 20 15:25:28 CEST 2001

Lupei Zhu <lupei at usc.edu> writes:

>   I upgraded the ghostscript on my RH7.0 system from 5.5 to AFPL 7.0.
> When I use epstopdf to convert eps file to pdf file, I noticed that the
> size of the generated pdf file is much smaller that it used to be (which
> is good), but the resolution deteriorates (I put an example in
> http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~lupei/temp, so someone can check out). Is
> there some option to  control this?

I don't think that it lost resolution (there wasn't much there in the
eps) but that it was JPEG encoded and got smeared around.  Edit
epstopdf to include -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode when it calls gs,
and it should look the same.  (I haven't tried this with gs 7.0 yes,
but it works with gs 6.50.)

It would be nice if you could pass GS parameters into epstopdf....

--
Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!
Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.