[pdftex] Re: pdftex-pdfcrypt - The Missing Link(?).

Y&Y Support support at YandY.com
Thu Apr 19 08:03:28 CEST 2001

At 07:05 AM 4/19/2001 +1000, you wrote:
Michael Chapman wrote:

| On Wednesday 18 April 2001 09:08, Greg Black wrote:
|
| > This goal is much better met by attaching a digital signature
| > with PGP or GPG and leaving the document in a form that allows
| > its readers to use it in ways that are comfortable for them.
| >
| But what proposrtion of e-mail recipients have (functionally) access to
| (and/or understanding of) PGP/GPG?
| Conversely, Acrobat is installed on most people's boxes.

 > GPG and PGP are as easy to obtain as acrobat.

Getting and installing Acrobat is a "no brainer"

PGP requires some knowledge and multiple steps.

Yes, all of us smart enough to subscribe to a discussion list like this
have no trouble with that,
but I bet a large fraction of the people who are able to install and
use Acrobat Reader cannot overcome the awkward complexity of PGP.

It would be somewhat better if it was integrated into commonly used
mail programs.

How about some statistics?
How many people have installed PGP -- and are using it -- versus
how many people have installed and are using Acrobat Reader?