[pdftex] Re: What's new with Acrobat 5.0

Alan Shutko ats at acm.org
Tue Apr 10 23:52:39 CEST 2001

Paulo Ney de Souza <desouza at math.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Many of the newer devices that are showing up now have "reflow"
> as a built in necessity, including the PDF Reader for Palm's and
> Microsoft Reader for PocketPC and Windows in general. This seems
> to be in opposite to the course that TeX has always tracked on,

OTOH, TeX does know the structure of the page (what comes before what,
etc.)  In LaTeX, even more of the structure is in the source file, so
it seems plausible that a macro package could pass this info into the
PDF file so that small devices can reflow (and it's accessible to
screen readers and such) but you can get a nicely typeset output, too.

--
Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!
Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes.