[pdftex] Re: screen versions

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Mon Dec 4 18:27:45 CET 2000

    >> [...]
    >> You may consider dual res figures [see supp-pdf.tex and search
    >> for \pdfimages, plural]. That way you get a low res on the
    >> screen and the high res is only used for printing. Both are in
    >> the file, but only the low res are send when viewing.

    > But his file will still be 12 Mb - even larger since the low-res
    > version of the images will be included too. Not exactly
    > optimized for web delivery :)

I could imagine that someone writes a tool to create linearized pdf
which moves everything which is needed for printing only to the end of
the file.  A well designed browser should not download the whole file
unless it is sent to a printer.  I don't know whether the acrobat
reader is smart enough, but I think that xpdf could be.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de