*.sty for PDF publishing (AGU++?)

Sebastian Rahtz s.rahtz at elsevier.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 09:31:12 CET 1998

Jody Klymak writes:
 > Now that PdfTeX is working pretty well (at least for me), has anyone written
 > style files so that their papers look good while being read onscreen?   For
a) I dont know of any public styles yet available. I guess we all have
our own, and they are not yet polished enough to release. I started
one, but deferred its development to C V Radhakrishnan; he and John
Hillas may wish to make their work public?

b) I'd recommend reading the Context documentation, as I guess Hans is
the furthest ahead in this area.

c) This is a quotation from the forthcoming LaTeX Web Companion:

\begin{itemize}
\item We set up a landscape page design, which has the same aspect
  ratio as the computer screen; we choose 6in $\times$ 4in; page
  margins are adjusted to suit. Remember that \LaTeX\ gives one inch
  margins by default; we need to crop the page so that the
  margins are of minimal width. The \LaTeX\ \Loption{oneside} option
  must be used, as there is no longer any concept of odd or even pages.
  When the text width is small, you should consider using
 \Lcs{raggedright} setting;
\item We set the font family to one suited for screen reading; we choose
  Lucida Bright;
\item Since there is no reason to fill pages, we set section headings
  to start a new page;
\item We use color; section headings are set in blue, hypertext links
  are colored, table rows are shaded \etc;
\item The \Lcs{ref} commands are replaced by \Lcs{autoref} (or by
  \Lcs{hyperref} if a more customized link is needed); this makes
  the colored links have a more visible context;
\item Should you wish to disable the Acrobat menu and tool bar, a
  navigation and function bar can be put at the bottom of each page;
\item To provide a visible pointer to the current page's location
  within the article, a progress gauge is placed  at the bottom of
  each page: this works by comparing the current page number with the
  number of the last page, and constructing a colored bar of
  appropriate length.
\end{itemize}

sebastian