pdftex + truetype + reencoding : more

Philip A. Viton pviton at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Dec 16 10:38:22 CET 1998

I've done a bit of experimenting here, and it looks to me as if the encoding
vector is not being handled properly for TT fonts (WinNT4; AcroReader3.01;
pdftex 12r):

a. with the relevant line of cm.map reading

    cmr10 Cmr10 <<cmr10.ttf <cmtext.enc

   the pdf document shows no ligs; fhe File/DocInfo/Fonts listing shows
   cmr10 as a truetype font with encoding "builtin", which is surely wrong?

b. this is not specific to the Kinch version of the tt fonts: the tt
version of the Bakoma fonts have the same problem.

c. for comparison, using a pfb version of cmr10, the ligs display correctly;
   under Font Info the encoding is listed as "custom".

So if the TT version lists the encoding as "builtin", while PFB shows
"custom" maybe that's the source of the problem?  (Or maybe I don't
understand encodings?)

Philip A. Viton
City Planning, Ohio State University
190 W. 17th Ave,Columbus OH 43210