Minus signs don't print - problem solved

William R. Smith wsmith at msnet.mathstat.uoguelph.ca
Wed Dec 9 12:58:34 CET 1998

Hello,

 I responded briefly to this earlier post, part of which is appended
below.   I am also a math prof, and  I use PDFTeX to post
assignments, etc. for my students - see
http://www.mathstat.uoguelph.ca/courses/offerings/math227/

 Although a "workaround" involving changing the printer's graphics
settings is possible in some cases (see an earlier post of mine from
another site), the _ultimate solution_ has now been found. One of my
2nd year Engineering Systems and Computing students (G. Knap)
put his finger on it last week. The problem's origins are due to the
"letter-size vs A4-size problem", which plagues many North American
users.  The discovery was that if, on loading the document in Acrobat
Reader, it indicates a page size (as displayed in the lower right
portion of a tool-bar at the bottom of the Acrobat reader screen)
indicates a page size of 8.5 x 11 in, then the document will print
with no problems.  However, if the page size shows as the A4 size
(8.26 x 11.69 in), then the minus signs will NOT print on some
printers (the HP LJ family being one type) - this is even tho the
minus signs _display_ properly on the screen.

The solution then, is to make sure your PDFTeX  configuration
produces letter-size documents. The ultimate check for this is the
page-size indicator when Acrobat loads the document.  Your PDFTeX
preamble must be set appropriately, and I have found that the
following works with my configuration (I use the standard MikTeX
installation obtained from CTAN):

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\pdfcompresslevel=9 \pdfoutput=1
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
\begin{document}

You must also change the appropriate page-size option in the dvips
configuration file (I think this is also required, but this is the
case with my configuration).  I have done this by manually editing
the DOS file  "config.ps" that comes with MikTeX editor (that
which I use).

I'd appreciate it if the original poster of the question would try
this and confirm that it works.  From others on the list, can you
tell me if there is a way to set the page-size from _within_ the
LaTeX source file itself?  Or is there a way that Acrobat Exchange
can change the page size itself?

>I wrote the list here some time ago because my colleagues >and I in
the math department were experiencing the difficulty >that minus
signs do not print when a document is sent to the >HP postscript
printer.  They do show up on  the acrobat reader >screen.