[OzTeX] possibility of a native Intel version of OzTeX

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Mon May 5 02:49:58 CEST 2008

I've had a couple of recent requests for a native Intel version of
OzTeX which have got me thinking.  In the past I've been reluctant
to even consider it because it probably meant a total rewrite in
C/C++.  But I see that p1 has a new Modula-2 compiler that can
generate C code for building universal binaries, so that should
be a much easier route.

However, the new compiler will cost me 500 euros (they don't seem
willing to offer me a cheaper upgrade price -- very annoying!).

So here's the deal.  If I get enough OzTeX users willing to contribute
towards the cost of the new compiler and the time needed to create
a universal OzTeX then I'll probably go ahead and do it.  I estimate
I'd need about 100 people willing to commit roughly US$30 each to
make this worth doing.

If you'd like to see a native Intel version of OzTeX then please
send me (andrew at trevorrow.com) a message saying how much you'd be
willing to contribute.  DO NOT post to this list, and DO NOT send
me any money via Kagi or whatever.  At this stage I just want to
see if the project is feasible.  I'll let you know the answer
in a few days.

Andrew