[OzTeX] eps files not previewing properly

Ken Pierce kpierce at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 19 16:28:12 CET 2005

Thanks, Andrew,

There's something still not right:

ken-pierces-computer:~%which gs
/usr/local/bin/gs

ken-pierces-computer:~%ls -l /usr/local/bin/gs
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  21 18 Jan 15:04 /usr/local/bin/gs ->
/usr/local/bin/gs-X11

*** CONVERTING EPS TO PDF
Command: oz-convert-eps circle.eps
/private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/oz11002-3024584101.pdf
Directory: Macintosh
HD:Users:kpierce:User_Files:Current:Courses:6.022j-2005:test:testdisplay:
EPSTOPDF 2.9draft, 2003/04/20 - Copyright 1998-2002 by Sebastian Rahtz et al.
!!! Error: Cannot open Ghostscript for piped input!
mv: rename /tmp/oztmp11021.pdf to
/private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/oz11002-3024584101.pdf: No such file
or directory

ken-pierces-computer:~%ls -l /private/tmp/501
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  45 kpierce  wheel  1530 19 Jan 10:08 TemporaryItems

unix_path=:usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

setting convert_eps to 3 didn't help.

But here's something that works: You'll recall that I had been using
the fink installation of tetex and gs.  If I revert to the (earlier)
fink version, and add the appropriate path to my "unix_path", then
OzTeX can call gs and create the preview image without difficulty.
So this is an obvious workaround; on the other hand, you've advised
me to use Gerben Wierda's versions, which makes sense.

Further thoughts?

Ken

(I'm cc'ing the list in case someone has seen and solved a similar problem.)