[OzTeX] pdflatex hiccup

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Tue Dec 27 23:41:16 CET 2005

> I have just installed Gerben Wierda's latest teTeX distribution using i-installer and the pdflatex command does not work from within OzTeX 5.3b2, to wit:
>
> Calling Unix command: pdflatex -efmt=pdflatex -shell -int=nonstopmode mathjoke.tex
> Current directory: /Users/weenjg/LaTex\ Docs/Math\ Joke
> (Nada after this line)
>
> But it does work if I issue the same pdflatex command (in the .tex file dir) from the unix shell. So, it looks like $PATH-ing is set correctly for pdflatex.

In Terminal, type "which pdflatex".  You should get something like this:

akt% which pdflatex
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex

Make sure the above path to pdflatex is in the list of colon-separated
paths specified by OzTeX's unix_path parameter (select Config > Show >
Files and Folders to see the current list).
I'm guessing that the latest teTeX distribution has changed where
commands like pdflatex are stored, so you'll probably need to add
a line like this to your Local file's OzTeX section:

unix_path = /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:NEW-LOCATION-HERE

Make sure you save the Local change and reload it (select Config > Default).

If that doesn't fix the problem then I'll need more clues.
For example, send me the Terminal output from running
"pdflatex -efmt=pdflatex -shell -int=nonstopmode mathjoke.tex".

> On another (slightly older) i-installer distribution, everything works fine, and did from the outset.
> I'm running Tiger 10.4.3 in both cases.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you can't solve the problem then you might have to go back to the
older teTeX distribution.  I'm still on Panther here and can't reproduce
the problem.  I'll only be switching to Tiger when I get a new Mac (in a
couple of months).

Andrew