[OzTeX] Wrong glyphs in dvi preview

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Thu Dec 1 01:50:19 CET 2005

> I am running 10.4.3 with all the latest security patches etc.
>
> When previewing using Hollis's outline fonts I am seeing some
> incorrect symbols (ligatures are fine this time), for example
> I see \mu instead of \theta and \setminus instead of \cap. I
> don't know when this started but it did not used to be the case.
>
> I have tried reinstalling the outline fonts and deleting any cache
> file which might in some way be involved then restarting to no avail.
>
> It does not happen if I switch to PK files for previewing and the
> correct glyphs are printed and appear on the screen if I make
> a PDF via dvips & ps2pdf.
>
> Any ideas?

Oh dear, this doesn't sound good.
The cynic in me suspects that the same Apple engineer who botched up
PostScript font rendering has been given the task of "improving"
TrueType font rendering.

The real problem is that OzTeX uses ancient QuickDraw calls to draw
characters from outline fonts.  Apple have deprecated QD and are no
longer willing to fix QD-related bugs, so we're stuck with these
sort of problems until I switch to Apple's newer ATSUI font calls.
That's quite a lot of work and I suspect it's never going to happen.

Andrew