[omega] ovp2ovf with VPL input

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Tue Sep 15 08:39:02 CEST 2009

[Originally reported to tex-live at tug.org; I was referred here for advice.]
Downloaded MacTeX-2009 (September 12 version, I believe) today and
installed it, to try out ovp2ovf.
[ovp2ovf -version reports:
   ovp2ovf 2.0 (Web2C 7.5.4)
   kpathsea version 3.5.4
   Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
   covered by the terms of both the ovp2ovf copyright and
   the GNU General Public License.
   For more information about these matters, see the files
   named COPYING and the ovp2ovf source.
   Primary author of ovp2ovf: J. Plaice, Y. Haralambous, D.E. Knuth.
   Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.
]

The manpage for ovp2ovf says

   The program also works with TeX VP files, producing VF and TFM files.
   (ovp2ovf is based on the WEB source code for vptovf(1).)

In order to test this, I applied vftovp to some random VF file,
producing test.vpl. ovp2ovf chokes on that:

   [hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf test.vpl
   ovp2ovf: fatal: ovp file `test.vpl' not found.

Thinking it might be particular about the suffixes, I tried changing
the file name to test.ovp:

   [hexley:~/tmp] lars% mv test.vpl test.ovp
   [hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf test.ovp
   line 1 (parsing): parse error
   line 1 (internal): compute_ofm_character_info

No joy! The first line reads "(VTITLE )" however, which looks a little
odd (but is probably correct for an empty VTITLE), so as a last attempt
I delete that line. Still no joy:

   [hexley:~/tmp] lars% ovp2ovf test.ovp
   line 1 (parsing): parse error
   line 1 (internal): compute_ofm_character_info

So, is this program just plain BROKEN or what?

Moreover, the manpage refers to omega at ens.fr and
http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/omega/, which are probably not helpful. The
webpage redirects to omega-system.sourceforge.net, but there doesn't
appear to be any omega-system project on sourceforge (at least not
anymore).

Lars Hellström