[omega] typesetting biblical hebrew with makor and a protext install

sam sayag samuelsayag at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:53:51 CET 2008

Hi I thank you very much for your advices,

I've seen XeTeX indeed while I was browsing the web and I'll consider that
solution if there's no better. I worked on it this afternoon and solve my
problem on omega and lambda (I just made a few try with options with linux's
man omega/lambda command) I've still that problem of the font not found in
dvi output ... but I produce regular .pdf/.ps with my first shalom
aholamexemple. I'm very exited about it.

I visited your SIL site wich i'll be interesed in but i feel i could have
the same problem with your solution.

Obviously, I produce regular DVI but my Yap (dvi viewer) program cannot find
this ezra font.  I think there is something like a font map to udpdate
maybe  that is used by yap but  i'm so knew to TeX systems  that I'm still
wondering  what is it, where in the TDS i can find it and how to modify.

Thanks to spend time to answer

2008/1/24, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:

> Hello Samuel,
>
> This is not a direct answer to your Omega questions, but you could
> consider the alternative Unicode-enabled TeX extension, XeTeX. I am
> attaching a basic XeTeX sample file, and the corresponding PDF
> output, to illustrate the capabilities. It is also possible to use
> Hebrew in conjuction with LaTeX packages, etc., for more advanced
> document structure and formatting; there is an active mailing list
> (see http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/XeTeX) where you will find other
> users interested in these issues.
>
> XeTeX is included with MikTeX 2.7 and other recent TeX distributions,
> and requires very little effort to set up; to process the attached
> sample, all you need is the "Ezra SIL" OpenType font installed in
> your Windows Fonts folder. (It would also work with other fonts such
> as SBL Hebrew just by changing the name in the \font declaration.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 24 Jan 2008, at 9:14 am, sam sayag wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I'm Samuel, I'm french (so please forgive my english faults). I'm
> > new to the world of TeX, LaTeX and of course Omega too.
> > I need (in fact my sister need but i'll do the job for her) to
> > typeset biblical hebrew (for research paper needs) with all the
> > strange stuff around the letters : cantilation, vocalisation and so
> > on.
> > So I brought together my courage and decide to dive in the world of
> > TeX. I discover CTAN and in the hebrew section an interesting
> > package called Makor that let you typeset at least the bible if you
> > had the courage...
> > I installed quite easily ProTeXt (MikTeX, TeXniccenter, ghostscript/
> > view...) , tested it with french basic document but things got
> > complex when I tried to obtain my first "hello world" example in
> > biblical hebrew. I read the manual and it is said that Makor use
> > Omega/TeX. I try to read a few thing about Omega but I cannot find
> > any document saying (for a newcomer) how to use it in the context
> > of a ProTeX or TeXLive basic installation and how these progamms
> > (it seems omega and lambda) interact with TeX when I push the Ctrl
> > +F7 button on TeXnicenter the moment I compile.
> >
> >  first question : Did I miss something on the internet ? Do I have
> > to read something before bothering people on this list ? Is there a
> > tutorial somewhere ?
> >
> > Then the guy (Alan Hoenig) says in the Makor documentation that you
> > have to :
> >
> > "place psfonts.mkr2 into your file psfonts.map"
> >
> >  second question : how do i do this with MikTeX ? In the settings I
> > made miktex point on the Makor tree (it is suppose to work because
> > makor tree respect the TDS I read and trust) and then refresh the
> > FNDB (file name data base ?). I even found the psfonts.map in my
> > windows settings (C:\Documents and Settings\sayag_s\Local Settings
> > \Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvips\config) but couldn't see the
> [...]

Samuel SAYAG
1, rue du général Larminat
94000 Creteil
09 54 39 01 90