[omega] Question about the paper published in EuroTeX 2005

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Wed Mar 30 19:40:40 CEST 2005

Le 30 mars 05, à 19h16, Chris Rowley a écrit :

> Any advertised means of accessing the individual glyphs in a font
> resource gives
> more than Unicode-based access.  Having just Unicode-based access
> means that the typesetter may never know what glyphs are available
> unless it happens at random to send the font resource the correct
> Unicode string.

Imagine now a texteme-compliant text editor where one can select a
texteme and via a contextual menu
visualize all glyphs provided by the current font. In that contextual
menu you only need to choose the
one you like the most. The character of your texteme will not change,
only its glyph. You can then lock that
glyph property so that a subsequent consultation of the same font will
not revert to the "default" glyph.

> Note that I am not saying that just having names is sufficient: the
> typesetter may need to know, for example, what languages a particular
> ligature was intended for, by the designer.  Maybe the font resource
> provides different ligatures (of the same basic glyphs) for use in
> different languages or typesetting traditions.

Or you may leave your glyph property unlocked and some well-intended
OTP may change it according
to some tradition/convention. For example, you choose an fi ligature,
but your text is in Turkish, oops,
the ligature is sent back to oblivion.
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Directeur d'Études                   http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département Informatique                                           |
| École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                          ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
                                         mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

                         ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                        has not yet reached the ground