[metapost] Can't the manpage be more helpful?

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Mar 14 14:35:33 CET 2014

The manpage should at least say that you can get a list of options using.
    mpost --help
Maybe the full list is not there because of the rapid changes lately.

Unix people would mostly think of --help on their own.

Others would naturally look in  texmf-dist/doc/metapost/base/ where
mpman.pdf, appendix 2, has a (not necessarily up-to-date) list of
command line options.

In MiKTeX there used to be (probably still is) top-level documentation
that included the options for both tex and metapost as well as other
standard programs. I seem to remember this in TeX Live, too, but I
don't see it anymore. In texlive-en.html (Chapter 7) is listed three
options common to a long list of programs including mpost:
    --help  --verbose  --version

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences