[metapost] Trying to use MT1 to make outline fonts... (again)

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 18:18:42 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM,  <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:
> No.  And although I am not an MT1 developer, I think it's unlikely to be
> added in the future.  It's a really hard computational geometry problem,

OK.

> I use all three - circular, non-circular elliptical, with rotation, and
> without rotation.  The "simplified" stroking algorithm generally works
> pretty well in practice.  When I have trouble with it, I can often work
> around the issues by adding extra points along my path using the MT1
> insert_nodes() macro.  The lack of a true pen stroke calculation is
> noticed, but is not prohibitive.

Thanks for this feedback.

> The sample code that comes with MT1 is worth reading; it shows how
> pen-stroking is done with paths, and as soon as you experiment with it
> yourself you'll get some idea of the possibilities and limitations of the
> simplified stroking algorithm.  Unfortunately, the best documentation is
> in Polish, which I can't read and you probably can't either.

A Polish friend of mine set me some "Uczymy Sie Polskiego" material
(apologies to the Polish people here for my spelling mistakes) but I
haven't got around to studying it yet! ;-)

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers. I'll look into the sample code.
Should be worth it.

BTW sorry (again) for the simplistic question but I have TeXLive 2012
(development version) installed on my Kubuntu (via
https://launchpad.net/~texlive-backports/+archive/ppa/) -- MT1 is
included, right?

--
Shriramana Sharma