[metapost] draw a single-stroke curve

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 5 00:14:15 CET 2012

On 2012-02-03 at 23:44:11 -0500, Qianqian Fang wrote:

 > hi list
 >
 > I want to produce a single-stroke curve in
 > metapost and import to fontforge, a vector
 > font editor.
 >
 > I used the "draw" command and output to
 > a ps file, then import the ps file to fontforge.
 > I realize that, even I set the pen width to 0, the
 > imported ps graph is always an outline object:
 > every stroke is a thin closed contour.

You can't use arbitrary PostScript code in fonts.  Fonts always
require outlines.  Seems that FontForge does exactly the right thing.
Without this conversion FontForge cannot create fonts.

I wasn't aware that FontForge supports this conversion, I always
thought that it's only supported by MetaType1.  But good to know.

Or do you intend to create a Type 3 font?  In this case you have to
configure FontForge accordingly.  Don't know whether it's supported.

Maybe you could tell us what you want to achieve finally.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25