[metapost] a problem of label when using metapost

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 16 08:51:36 CET 2011

Dear Liu,

Am Dienstag, den 15.11.2011, 10:54 +0800 schrieb source liu:

> It works almost right,  except for the case i want to insert label.
>
> I'm sure the problem lies in it,  for i comment the label line, it
> layout the exact figure i want to get(
> without text of course).
>
> 1.  TeX
> when it comes to the first line of
> label.top(btex *somethinghere* etex, z1)
>
> it would be fine,  but the situation changes when a second similar
> label is invoking as above.
>
> the error message is always be something like , >> mpx file can't be create.

with all such problem, please post a minimal example.

> 2. LaTeX
>
> it is said that one can changed the defaut TeX system by placing
> %&latex at the beginning.
>
> yet, it is true, except for it works not the same as i found through
> the internet, which i found
> %&latex is after vebatimtex,
>
> such as
> vebatimtex
>    %&latex
> *something else here*
>
> etex
>

> is not work for me, 'cause it not recognize the \documentstyle command
>  but
> %&latex
> verbatimtex
> *something else here*
>
> etex
> ---------------------------------------
> works,  though with error message
> "/somedir/.texmf/tex/latex/latex.fmt. is not an latex mem file"
>
> still failed to generate label.

If I were you I would use ConTeXt with MetaFun [1][2] which takes care
of that automatically. The following example is taken from the ConTeXt
Wiki [3] but I had to adapt it.

        \starttext

        % earth and sun
        \startreusableMPgraphic{fig}
          z0 = (2in,0);
          draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
          label("sun", origin);
          draw fullcircle scaled 1.5cm shifted z0;
          label("earth", z0);
        \stopreusableMPgraphic

        \reuseMPgraphic{fig}

        \stoptext

And then run the following.

$ context mf.tex

> Any suggestion on this, or has someone involved the same problem as well as me?
>
> My TeX system is TeXLive 2010,  got it from the apt source of debian,

Really? I thought TeXLive 2009 is currently packaged. Anyway you could
use the ConTeXt suite to install ConTeXt [4].

> without any specific configure for myself.

[…]

> BTW, is there any way to change the displayed name of myself in the
> maillist,  i clicked applied before i
> realized that i left my email address as displayed name.

What do you mean? »source liu« is displayed as your name and your email
address is included in the From field because you sent an email.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/metafun-s.pdf
[2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaFun