[metapost] Does MetaPost catch on?

laurent at math.toronto.edu laurent at math.toronto.edu
Fri Sep 17 04:36:18 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I wrote concerning metapost:

> One would expect the most recent beta(s) to be
> always present.

And luigi kindly replied

 > Hm, they are:
 >
 > http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/project/metapost/frs/

Indeed, "frs" may mean "fichiers" and reveals the present
metapost state to be:

stable  1.211       5 - Production/Stable  metapost-1.211-win32-mingw.zip
     245.99 Kb
                                           metapost-1.211-src.tar.bz2
     4.31 Mb
development / testing  1.502 4 - Beta
metapost-beta-1.502-win32-mingw.zip  240.22 Kb
                                           metapost-beta-1.502-src.tar.bz2
     2.47 Mb

Concerning my request for Linux Ubuntu binaries for beta
metapost, Dirk Laurie quipped:

 > ... and since I'm such an important paying client, don't forget
 > to courier me a free bottle of Dom Perignon.

When I walked into the supelec cave only 20 conoisseurs
had downloaded the beta binary, but 90 had downloaded the
source code.  That suggests that perhaps 70 users have
intended to compile, of which surely dozens work under
lunux.

Since it is an old and noble tradition to lay down
such famous linux binaries, let us hope that someone
will soon post a URL to an Ubuntu Linux Intel  binary for
the 1.502 beta. That seems to be the binary that both Dirk
and I can best exploit.

Cheers

Laurent S.