[metapost] Using -recorder with -output-directory

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat May 16 14:27:39 CEST 2009

Nicola wrote:
> Hi,
> using MetaPost 1.005 (Web2C 7.5.7), if I run
>
> mpost -recorder -output-directory ./mydir ./mydir/foo.mp

It is 'fixed', but maybe not in the way you would like.

   $ mpost -recorder -output-directory ./mydir ./mydir/foo.mp
   warning: mpost: unimplemented option -output-directory
   This is MetaPost, version 1.200 (kpathsea version 3.5.7dev)

The rationale behind this is that in metapost, the output-directory
concept is ill-defined because of btex ... etex processing, that
has to create intermediate .mpx files that themselves have to be
read back in by metapost.

If output-directory was to be honored, such generated mpx files
might end up in a unread or non-readable directory.

Best wishes,
Taco