[metapost] extract names of glyphs in font?

Steve White stevan.white at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:58:49 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm extracting glyphs from a font (Yannis Haralambous' Sinhala) using
commands such as
      mpost '&./mfplain \mag=83.82; mode:=localfont; filenametemplate
"%j-%4c.eps"; input sinha12.mf'
This works pretty well, but I want more:
I can see the names of the glyphs in the .mf files:  the code for the
glyph named "aa" starts with
    xbeginchar(oct"020",12.8FX#,18.9FY#,6.3FY#); "aa";
But this name seems to be nowhere represented in the EPS output.

Is there any way in MetaPost to represent that string in the EPS file?
(It could be either within the file or in the file name.)

Thanks!