[metapost] Compilation of MetaPost from SVN, release 181, on Mac OS X

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Sep 27 19:35:45 CEST 2007

Hi Peter,

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A Mac OS X user has asked me to compile MetaPost for the PPC
> architecture. During compilation these warnings are emitted:

[forwarded to Karl]

> Compilation ends prematurely at:
>
> ..
>
> The problem is that convert is not receiving for $native the correct
> value.  build/texk/web2c/Makefile has set:
>
>     native = /texk/web2c

Are you running a cross compiler? (configure seems to think you do)

For cross-compilation, you probably have to split build.sh in two, as
I have done in build.linux and build.cross (which has a slightly
misleading name, it only works for the linux+mingw32 combination).

> In build/texk/web2c/config.log I can see:
>
>     <stdin>:3: error: conflicting types for 'yytext'
>     configure:1804: error: previous declaration of 'yytext' was here
>     configure: failed program was:
>     #line 1415 "configure"

I get this too, it is harmless.

> In Makefile these values are set:
>
>     native = /texk/web2c
>     target = NONE
>     host  = NONE
>
> Setting native to ``.´´ leads to different errors:

>     srcdir=../../../src/texk/web2c /bin/sh
> ../../../src/texk/web2c/web2c/convert . tex

You are compiling _TeX_ here, not metapost.

I thought you were working from this

   http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=13&release_id=224

source package, but now I have doubts about that. If you are not
trying to compile texlive, maybe you are attempting to run configure
& make by hand? There is a top-level shell script (build.sh) that
you should be using. Please, can you explain what you did exactly?

Trying to help, but somewhat lost,

Taco