[metapost] metauml: Can not use btex ... etex on Note

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Sep 17 20:23:20 CEST 2007

At 11:52 AM 9/16/2007, you wrote:
>it is very straight that in my system in office, that is a MiTeX, a
>Note of uml can use btex ... etex as its text, but the same file can
>not pass TeXLive2007's metapos in my home computer, it compains:
>"unknown string A.lines0".

That is not the error message. Error messages begin with a "!" at
the beginning of a line. The full message is:

   >> unknown string A.lines0
   >> picture
   ! Equation cannot be performed (unknown string=picture).

The first two lines are informational, telling you what exactly
was equated.

The documentation of metauml says

   ``A note is created as follows:
       Note.name(list-of-lines);
   The suffix name is the name of the Note object. The comma separated list of
   strings, list-of-lines, gives the text contents of the note
object, each string
   being drawn on its own line.''

So it is clear you must use string parameters for Name.A.
If on some system metauml accepts btex etex, then either
it has a different version of metauml or it was accidental
that it worked.

It is possible in MetaPost to handle different types of
expressions in the same parameter, so it is possible some
prior version allowed btex-etex. I don't know. My version
(metauml 0.2.3) doesn't allow it.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descarte