[metapost] problem with drawoptions and fake Euro symbol

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Nov 13 21:38:50 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use Euro symbols in MetaPost source code that is generated
by gnuplot's mp terminal.  The code makes heavy use of the drawoptions
macro and this seems to interfere with fonts.

The eurofont package provides access to three different fonts that
actually provide (fake) Euro symbols, namely adobeeurofonts, marvosym
and eurosym.  With package options adobeeurofonts and marvosym
horizontal rules in fake Euro symbols depend on MetaPost's drawoptions
settings and can come out too heavy or too light, depending on pen
width.  This looks very bad (see attached file) and I wouldn't expect
drawoptions and (virtual) fonts to interfere.

I can think of two causes for the problem:

(i)  The fonts have a bug in the fake symbols.  The strange thing about
this is, that two different implementations suffer from the same bug,
then.  Only package eurosym seems to use a more robust solution for fake
Euro symbols.

(ii)  There is a problem with MetaPost's font handling.

What do people think?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

verbatimtex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[adobeeurofonts]{eurofont}% fails
% \usepackage[marvosym]{eurofont}% fails
% \usepackage[eurosym,gen]{eurofont}% works
\begin{document}
etex
prologues:=3;
beginfig(1);
  label(btex 1000\euro etex, origin);
  drawoptions(withpen pencircle scaled 2);
  label(btex 1000\euro etex, (50,0));
endfig;
end