[metapost] MP docs

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Tue May 15 00:59:58 CEST 2007

Some questions and comments, mostly unrelated to one another,
about the documentation for MetaPost 1.000:

In the CHANGES file there is the statement for version 0.920 that it
implements a "marking only" color model. I have no idea what that
means and mpman for 1.000 doesn't mention it. What am I missing?

Section 5.1 discusses the 10 data types. The first sentence of
section 5.2 contains the phrase: "expressions of the nine basic types".

When first discussing cmykcolor (section 5.1) mpman says black would
be expressed as (1,1,1,1). Perhaps (0,0,0,1) would be better?
I suppose any reasonably sophisticated rendering engine would
produce the same result with either, but it is possible all four
inks might be mixed in the first case. Also .5(1,1,1,1) still produces
black, while .5(0,0,0,1) gives a gray.

Why does MetaPost spell grey with an "e" (withgreyscale) while Postscript,
dvips and LaTeX all spell gray with an "a"?

It would be useful to have a manual with hyperlinks in it. I don't
know if one is generally available, but I have compiled one for
myself and would be happy to make it available (latex source and
compiled pdf) if necessary.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" --Adam Savage