[metapost] memory problem

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu May 4 11:57:42 CEST 2006

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Below you can find a copy of a mail that Denis Roegel sent me in
> response to a bug report. The same issue has already been posted here in
> mail "[metaobj] performance leak with boxes" on 2006-4-14. Since Denis
> can't see any bug in MetaObj (at least regarding this issue ;) he thinks
> it is a general memory problem in MetaPost.
>
> Although, Denis doesn't seem to read this list, I put some remarks in
> the copy. Maybe someone else can comment.

I have to look this up to be sure, but I strongly suspect that what
happens is this: for each new equation, metapost runs through the
complete list of variables to see if its status has changed thanks
to the new equation. If you have a lot of 'not known' variables,
this process can become very slow.

Cheers, Taco