[metapost] Conformance to Document Structuring Conventions Specification ver 3.0

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Sun Feb 12 10:24:11 CET 2006

Dear All,

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>  > 4. Fonts are not reencoded. (Not a bug, but a missing feature.)
>  > Although psfonts.map is used to get PostScript names of fonts,
>  > infomation on font encoding from the same file is ignored.  It
>  > will result in errors with non-ascii characters from TeX fonts,
>  > that are usually in some TeX encoding.  IMHO font reencoding must
>  > be added to metapost output.
>
> Indeed.  To create standalone graphics it would even make sense to
> insert the font.  PFA files can be inserted directly and PFB files
> have to be piped through t1ascii.

Embedding fonts into EPS file by metapost is of questionable value.
Once metapost has stated what fonts are necessary in DSC,
an external utility (not metapost-specific) for font embedding may be
used.
There must be such utility somewhere (distiller?, gs?).

Standalone graphics can be obtained by typesetting labels with groff
instead of TeX, as groff uses only base PS fonts for text and math by
default.

  As to reencoding - it is to be done by metapost, as reencoding
information is stored in TeX-specific way.

Reencoding can be done by adopting the dvips procedures from
texps.lpro and using the quoted string from psfonts.map.
My PS knowledge is insufficient for that task.

             Sincerely, Michail