[metapost] format.mp and mptopdf

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Mar 12 16:12:14 CET 2005

Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> mptopdf has problems here to process files that load the format.mp
> package. It complains about some redundant equations where mpost
> doesn't. Changing line 148 of format.mp from equations = to assignments
> := solves the problem. But I don't know if this is a correct solution. I
> think format.mp needs somehow to be reset when included twice.

I think you misinterpreted the mptopdf command. It does not
(normally) run mpost for you, you have to do that before you
call mptopdf.

mptopdf then converts the output file (formaterr.1) into
formaterr-1.pdf

> PS: Shouldn't the output of the example below show a dot? Adding
> 'withpen pencircle scaled 2bp' does so.

So does using drawdot instead of draw, or a 'pickup pen' command
before the draw. You are essentially drawin a one-node path without
a pen, so nothing is output (well, officially, one device pixel should
be drawn if you would have used a PostSCript interpreter, but that
is nearly invisible). There is no default pen in MetaPost.

> input format
> beginfig(1);
>   draw origin;
> endfig;