[metapost] recursion in MP/ MF [was: all intersections between two paths]

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jan 17 14:56:12 CET 2005

Hi,

Boguslaw Jackowski wrote:

 > I like recursion, because it helps to express the ideas (usually) in
 > a concise way. Laurence apparently belongs to the people avoiding
 > recursion. Which approach is better? We, in Poland, call questions of this
 > kind ``the discussion on the superiority of Christmas over Easter''. ;-)

I also like recursion. It is unfortunate that precisely this part of MP/MF
cannot easily be changed. Knuth uses the (compile-time) size of the param stack
to differentiate between the three parameter types, making it hard to manage the
stack dynamically. This is much more of a problem in MP than in TeX because
graphics often relate themselves well to recursive algorithms.

Greetings, Taco