[metapost] Re: Some observations on turning and self intersection

Laurence Finston lfinsto1 at gwdg.de
Thu Feb 10 13:35:08 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Larry Siebenmann wrote:

> There are now dozens of books on computer graphics and any
> one of them could/should include the classification.  But our
> math library has few -- and *none* of the volumes recommended
> by/to Laurence F.

I think Salomon and Jones are serious omissions.  The latter has been
the most useful book on computer graphics to me by far.

As far as the others are concerned, I've found books on recreational
mathematics, and particularly the reprints from Dover Books, to be a
very fruitful source of ideas.  A book I find particularly interesting
is _Fast platonische K{\"o}rper_ (Nearly Platonic Figures)
by Christoph P{\"o}ppe.  It's published in the "Papiermechanik"
(paper mechanics) series of "Spektrum der Wissenschaft"
(Spectrum of the Sciences), the German version of Scientific
American.

Perhaps such topics might be of interest to the Megapost developers, if
they decide to leave "Flatland".

I think it's a shame if a math library ignores recreational
mathematics, but I suppose any library has to decide how to
spend a limited budget.

Laurence