[math-font-discuss] Ugly drawn rules in Adobe Reader

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 13 00:17:36 CEST 2005

Hi Taco,

    At the moment, I believe that is probably easiest to create something
    similar to \delimiter

Excuse all the questions, but I'm kind of adrift here.

How will this "something" be specified?  Will there be a new primitive
(ugh) or will it be invisibly changed in the implementation of \atop et
al.?  And if the latter, is there a circumstance where a rule would be
preferable?  From what font will this character come?

In general, do we really have to work around acrobat problems by
changing the TeX core?  It seems pretty invasive.  Has Adobe refused to
fix it?  How do the rules look in ghostscript and xpdf?  Can you post a
pdf with the problem?

    On the other hand, there is also the possibility to change the
    TFM  format

That sounds even more frightening than the other proposal!

Cheers,