[math-font-discuss] Circled triple integral

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 24 16:28:50 CEST 2004

Hi Elaine,

    found it (as \oiiint) is in obscure LaTeX program (wasysym or
    something) that didn't work at all in TeX 2.1.4. Does anyone have an
    idea how to make this symbol in TeX?  I can't believe LaTeX would
    have it and not regular TeX.

Indeed, any symbol available in LaTeX is also available in plain TeX.
Basically, you have to find the font file name, then use the character
(by number).

In this case, the answer is:

  \font\foo = txexa
  {\foo \char41}  % text-size circled triple integral
  {\foo \char42}  % display-size

I found this by looking at Scott Pakin's excellent reference list of
symbols, http://www.ctan.org/info/symbols/comprehensive.  It listed it
in the txfonts/pxfonts section.  So I made a trivial LaTeX document to
use it:

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{txfonts}
    \begin{document}
    $\oiiint$
    \end{document}

The output indeed had the triple integral, so then I ran dvitype on the
DVI file and discovered the font filename (txexa) and the character code
(41 decimal).

Just for kicks, I then looked at all the characters in the font:

$ tex testfont
Name of the font to test = txexa
*\table
*\end

And noticed the display size version.

Hope this helps.  Or you can buy MathTime :).

karl