[OS X TeX] TeXShop syntax highlighting for expl3

Alan Munn via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Sat Jan 27 19:39:37 CET 2024

On 2024-01-27 at 12:37 PM, Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX wrote:

> > On Jan 27, 2024, at 10:37 AM, Alan Munn via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I suspect this has been asked before, but how extensible (if at all) is TeXShop's syntax highlighting code? As more of us who develop packages are using expl3 syntax, it would be really nice if TeXShop could highlight such code well.
> >   Alan
> >
> >   --
> > Alan Munn
> > amunn at gmx.com
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm sure Dick Koch will enter the conversation but AFAIK the only control or changes you can make are to the colors of many items (which cannot be re-defined) on the Themes tab of TeXShop->Settings/Preferences.

Yes, I’m aware of the user level functionality within the editor. I was really asking about how easy it would be to add expl3 functionality to the code itself. It looks like there’s been some attempt to recognize _ as a relevant character, but at least in the current mode, expl3 macros don’t get coloured correctly. It would also be nice to be able to colour selectively on functions (which contain a colon) and variables, (which don’t), or even more control over different variable types, which in expl3 syntax are by convention explicitly marked, _clist, _bool, _int, etc.

Alan

Alan