[OS X TeX] Where does the assumption that large counts are phone numbers arise?

Markus Klyver markusklyver at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 03:16:15 CET 2024

I think you can change localization and detection of e-mails/numbers in the settings. Reminds me of when they renamed a gene because Excel kept assuming they were dates.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates
[https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/RNC3KA-mwAMW_R_lP0iktWH3M7Q=/0x0:3000x2000/1200x628/filters:focal(1500x1000:1501x1001)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8986109/acastro_170726_1777_0013.jpg]<https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates>
Scientists rename human genes to stop Microsoft Excel from misreading them as dates<https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates>
Microsoft Excel: 1 — Human Genetics: 0.
www.theverge.com
[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/corehtml/pmc/pmcgifs/pmc-card-share.jpg?_=0]<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9325790/>
Gene Updater: a web tool that autocorrects and updates for Excel misidentified gene names<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9325790/>
Opening and processing gene expression data files in Excel runs into the inadvertent risk of converting gene names to dates. As pathway analysis tools rely on gene symbols to query against pathway databases, the genes that are converted to dates will ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

https://theconversation.com/excel-autocorrect-errors-still-plague-genetic-research-raising-concerns-over-scientific-rigour-166554
[https://images.theconversation.com/files/417952/original/file-20210826-16-1smeoxv.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&rect=0%2C179%2C2000%2C1000&q=45&auto=format&w=1356&h=668&fit=crop]<https://theconversation.com/excel-autocorrect-errors-still-plague-genetic-research-raising-concerns-over-scientific-rigour-166554>
Excel autocorrect errors still plague genetic research, raising concerns over scientific rigour<https://theconversation.com/excel-autocorrect-errors-still-plague-genetic-research-raising-concerns-over-scientific-rigour-166554>
New research shows gene name autocorrection remains a problem for genomics articles. Here’s why it’s a wake up call for research reproducibility.
theconversation.com